Blogger Layouts

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Job!

Well, life is slowly getting back to pre-nursing school craziness. The kids are adjusting to having a mom again and have even started suggesting things for us to do this summer! I am also happy to report that I am now employed full-time as an RN. I took a job at the State Developmental Center working with mentally handicapped adults. This isn't my first choice of jobs but I took it for a couple of reasons-
1- the benefits are incredible! 24 paid days off a year and complete health, dental, and vision benefits for less than $100 a month
2- the patients here are really what inspired me to go into nursing in the first place. I worked here for 3 years before school and loved the interaction so much that I decided this was my lifelong calling- I feel I owe these patients something for their inspiration
3- there is something to be said for patients that- love me unconditionally, get excited when they see me, and in general are completely innocent of the world around them.
4- the schedule allows Ryan or I to be with the kids for all of about 4 hours each day. After two years of school, they really need and are enjoying having a parent around most of the time. And, I have Fri and Sat off which means lots of mini-vacations this summer!

I really do not see myself here for a very long time, maybe only a few months, but I am enjoying the slower paced environment, while earning RN wages. I look forward to when I can get back into the hospital but, for now, this really is the best place for me to be.

1 comment:

Our family said...

sounds like a great job. Those benefits alone are worth a lot! Enjoy your new life and have fun adjusting to getting time off.