Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Our Year in Review and Looking Forward

This last year has been nothing but interesting and full of discovery for our family. Of course, with three kids in tow how could it possibly be anything else.

We started last year with me in a new position as a Registered Nurse on the Mom/Baby unit at UVRMC. This has been a huge blessing in our lives- not only do I love the population that I work with- Mom's and their newborn baby, but it is a 10 minute commute compared to the 45 minute commute that I was doing to get to LDS hospital. The added bonus for this year is that I am moving to day shift! A year of night shifts has been very difficult for me and the rest of the family. A complete lack of sleep makes for a very moody Mommy.

Ryan has continued his education this year and is doing amazing! He currently has a 4.0 GPA and is well on track to continue with this GPA. He received a scholarship because of all of his hard work and it has made paying for school a lot easier. Ryan also decided on a degree path this year and he will be graduating in Construction Management. I really think that Ryan enjoys the learning process and I know that he is amazed with how well he is doing- the rest of us never really had any doubts.

We decided to make life really crazy and finish my education as well. I currently have my Associates of Nursing and I have always known that this would not be enough if I wanted to move into management or teach once I get tired of 12 hr shifts and floor work. We made the decision to go with the Western Governors University program that takes me from an Associate to Master's Degree in Nursing with an emphasis on Nursing Administration. This is going well and it looks like I may be finished by this time next year.... time will tell how motivated I am- but I want to be finished!

This year was also full of medical issues for our family that ended up with a diagnosis of von Willbrand's disease. This is a bleeding disorder similar to hemophilia but it isn't as severe as most hemophilia cases are. We have now discovered that I have this, my Mom has it as well as all 3 of our kids. The experts claim that with every pregnancy it is like flipping a coin and there is a 50/50 chance of the baby having it... Either we are really lucky or really unlucky because all 3 times we ended up with the von Willebrand's gene being passed on. The diagnosis explains so much in both mine and my mom's medical history- it has really filled in the pieces of the puzzle that we were missing and I am thankful that we have an answer and the proper doctors to treat it. Looking forward, things will be so much better because we know what to expect and how to stop the bleeding before or when it occurs. The down side is the medications are super expensive! I think until Ryan grduates and gets into a great job, we will probably meet our deductible and maximum out of pocket each year. We are planning accordingly and to me it is worth every penny to have healthy children.

Kelsi started 8th grade and turned 13 this year. Yes, she is officially a teenager and can be moody to match it. However, she is a great young lady that helps me tons. It is so nice to have a built in babysitter and major helper with the other kids. Kelsi has also enjoyed the variety of classes that Jr. High has to offer. She is taking yearbook and peer leadership and definitely keeps herself busy. This year she will be 14... old enough for church dances and the start of boys- sometimes I wish we could just freeze her and keep her from growing up

Jessica started 5th grade and turned 11. We made the decision to move her to the correct school this year and it has been a bit difficult for her but in true Jessica style she has made new friends and adjusted well. She is starting gymnastics this year and is super excited!! She has always been my flexible, flipping kid and I look forward to seeing what she does with proper instruction and structure. She will also turn 12 this year and she is trying really hard to become a teenager way too early... whatever will I do with 2 teenagers??

Taylor turned 6 and started school this year. He loves school but hates that it's only part day. He can hardly wait to go to school all day like sisters. He has learned so much and continues to amaze me on a daily basis. His newest love is Legos and we are constantly asking him to pick them up- those things hurt when you step on them barefoot! It's fun to see his personality come out in what he builds. He continues to torment his sisters just like every good brother should and he brings a great amount of light and joy to our family. It will be fun to see him continue to grow and progress this year.

We are looking forward to the coming year and the milestones it will bring. Ryan and I will be celebrating our 15th Anniversary this year. It is amazing that it has been that long- I remember our wedding like it was yesterday but then I also see how much we have accomplished through good times and bad. We really are best friends and I look forward to many years to come.

If there is any lesson to learn it is that time goes by regardless of whether we wish it or not. I have learned to go with it and be flexible to life changes. Being happy is really a matter of perspective and having a good attitude, even when it seems hard, can change an entire situation. Here's to looking forward to the coming year and knowing that it will be great!

1 comment:

Our family said...

Very well said! I hope you have a great year ahead!