Blogger Layouts

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you when the world stopped turning?


I think that we all can remember exactly where we were and what we were doing the moment that disaster struck our nation 9 years ago today. I was very pregnant with our now 8 year old daughter and getting dressed for the day. My mom called and said "Turn on the TV! The twin towers was hit by a plane!" When I tuned in, it was the Pentagon I first saw. My mom and I were so confused until we realized that both had been hit. Our country, the strong nation that always kept us safe, was under attack. We all have our own version of that horrible day and the weeks and months following it will never allow us to forget those men and women that lost their lives.

A few years later, at our now 8 year old's kindergarten graduation, I realized that I had a different way to view this tragedy. The principal gave a short speech and told us that this graduating kindergarten class was the largest the school had ever seen. He went on to say that this class would be the first class to graduate high school and start college following the 9/11 attacks. Our nation, following these attacks, rallied and brought children into the world.

These children are in 3rd grade now. They are smart, strong, and know their value. It amazes me just how incredible these children are. They are the hope and strength of our nation! Tragedy occurs in every life. We must remember that there is always hope that comes after the pain and sorrow... but we also need to never forget those that have gone before and gave their lives so that this nation can be strong!

No comments: