Blogger Layouts

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why I Do What I Do...

I have been having a hard time lately... with life being busy, no time of my own, no time for the kids, no time for Ryan... and on and on and on. Anyways, so I had a patient last night that really made my day and reminded me why I do what I do.
He has always been a very grateful patient (I had him for three shifts in a row) and was always sure to thank me whenever I did something for him, but last night was different. He knew that he was going to be leaving for home soon so last night before I left, he told me the following. "I hope you know that you're an angel on this earth. I know that Heavenly Father looks down on you and knows who you are and the sacrifices you are making. He is very aware of you. I imagine that I will meet Him before you and I know that I will be putting a good word in for you, one of my angels. And when you come to heaven, because you will definitely go to heaven, I will be one of the angels waiting to greet you."
I left the room doing all I could not to cry like a baby. It made my day to hear that and it was something that I really needed right now. It's what you could call a true payday and it makes me want to work harder to reach the goals that we have set out to reach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Steph! I nearly cried when I read this...I'm pretty sure I know which patient you are talking about. What sweet words he had to say to you (and they are all true).

It reaffirms why we chose our profession. My dad once said that to be a nurse is to give of your entire being...physical, emotional, psycological. It is all encompassing. How true that is. But the rewards are equal to the sacrifice...if not more so.

It is people like him that make all we do worth it.

Krista said...

Steph I hope you share this story at staff meeting. Being a healing connections champion (said sarcastically) I applaud you. You are a great PCT and you are going to be a GREAT nurse! Hang in there...nursing school isn't forever. It just feels like it.