Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grandma Adamson

Last night, as I was starting my shift at work, I received the phone call that my Grandma had died. We were expecting this, but I have to say that it still makes my heart ache to know that she is gone. I am very thankful that her suffering was short and that she is now back with those that she has not seen for a very long time.
Last night was very special for me. Grandma died at my parents house and because of that we were able to spend a lot of time with her before she was taken to the funeral home. I never thought that it would be comforting to me to help clean and dress her body but it was. To me, it felt like the ultimate and final act of service that I could do for her. The hospice nurse was wonderful as she helped me and my aunt clean and dress Grandma in her favorite pajamas. She was now in peace and we were able to gather around her and say our goodbyes.
I have many, many fond memories of my grandma, as do my children. She has always been a vital part of my life. From staying at her home over the summer to living with her during school, Grandma was always there to help out. Even these last two weeks have been full of memories and I was very thankful that my children were able to spend time with her before she passed.
Ironically, today is her 84th birthday. Grandpa had told her that she would live to be 84- this always made her sooo mad at him- but he was right. She lived all of her days to her 84th year. I know that they are having a huge party for her today in heaven. There is no doubt in my mind that she was greatly anticipated there and that there is a wonderful reunion occurring.
Burying Grandma this weekend will be difficult- it's always hard to say good-bye- but it gives me great comfort to know that she is on the other side waiting for us and that she will always be there to act as my angel, just like she did when she was alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph....I am so glad you posted about your grandma. She sounds like an incredible lady...and I have no doubt she will be sorely missed.

I agree with you...that even if you know someone is going to pass away, it still hurts. How wonderful that you and your children were able to spend extra time with her before she passed. Time is so precious...sometimes it slips away before we realize it's gone.

My heart goes out to you....

Chad and Becky said...

I am sorry about your grandma, loosing someone is hard. She sounds like a wonderful person and I am glad you guys were able to have some time with her for closure. I am sure she appreciated all the extra time and care you took with her. Be well!

Our family said...

When did we get to this stage where our grandparents can die? I still picture my grandpa as the younger, livlier version of himself that I grew up knowing. It was so strange to see him when he was tired and frail. I think the beauty of old age is that it makes death acceptable--still difficult, but acceptable.