Blogger Layouts

Friday, December 23, 2011

My New Pink Badge

I am a VERY excited RN at the moment. Christmas Eve will be my last day working in downtown SLC at LDS hospital. While I am very sad to leave friends that I have made, I am excited for the new adventures that are waiting for me.

I have been working for almost a year on the Psychiatry Unit at LDS hospital. I have had some great opportunities on this unit and grown a ton as a nurse. I really felt that it would be an easy unit and that I didn't need to be there very long- but it is amazing to me how much this unit has taught me! From gaining the opportunity to become a Charge Nurse and run one of the largest units within Intermountain Health Care to the patience to listen to a patient that doesn't feel that their life is valuable. I feel that I have grown so much as a person and I have gained a listening ear and patience that I didn't have before. For these reasons, I am so thankful for my time on this unit.

A couple of weeks ago, I interviewed and took a job at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. I will be transferring next week to the Mom/Baby unit there. It seems very surreal to me that this has occurred. I had applied for the job a few months ago and had forgotten about it when they called and asked for an interview. I really struggled about even going to the interview because I was preparing to interview on my current unit for a management position- one of my good friends told me to at least go and interview. I did and to be honest, it was a gut wrenching decision to make. I am so excited now that the stress of decision making is over. Ryan and I feel that this is the best thing for me personally and for our family. I can see myself spending a lot of time working in this area of nursing- possibly even the rest of my career. There is something to be said for being involved in some of the happiest moments of people's lives. I understand that there is still hardship and loss in this area- but after working with severely suicidal patients for the last year, I feel that I have the skills to help those that are struggling as well.

Yesterday, this became more real to me when I picked up my new pink badge! Ryan laughed that I was so excited over a pink badge but to me it means moving on in life and starting something new that I really want to do.

No comments: